Sanctions Suspensions & Expulsion Policy
In this policy the following definitions apply:
1. “Chairperson of the Board of Governors” includes, when the Chairperson is absent or otherwise unavailable, the member of the Board of Governors, for the time being, performing the duties of the Chairperson.
2. “Principal” means the Principal of Erne Integrated College, and includes, where the Principal is absent or otherwise unavailable, the Vice-Principal or other person, for the time being, performing the duties of Principal.
3. “Committee” means the College Discipline/Pastoral Care Sub-Committee of the Board of Governors.
4. “The Panel” means the Teachers Panel which may be convened to consider disciplinary matters and includes: The Principal, the Learning Support Co-ordinator, the Year Curriculum Co-ordinator, Form Teacher and either the Vice Principal or the Senior Teacher.The Vice Principal, Senior Teacher or other nominated teacher will deputise for the Principal in the case of his/her absence/unavailability
5. “Minor breaches of discipline” means failing to produce homework on time and/or producing work judged by the Subject Teacher to be poor in quality for that student, talking in class, dropping litter, bad, but not extremely offensive language, failure to comply with College uniform regulations, minor breaches of the Information Technology/ Computer Code of Conduct, and other behaviour deemed by the Principal to be a minor breach of discipline.
6. “Major breaches of discipline” means bullying, violence, truanting (on or off-site) smoking, substance abuse, possession of illegal substances (including alcohol), dealing in illegal substances (including alcohol), mistreating College property, interference with fire extinguishers or fire alarm, mistreating the property of others this includes the journey to and from College), theft serious and deliberate disrespect towards any member of the College community either inside or outside the school, foul or offensive language, major breaches of the Information Technology/Computer Code of Conduct, or any other behaviour deemed by the Principal to be a major breach of discipline and/or to present serious risk to the safety of any member of the College community. An accumulation of minor breaches of discipline may be regarded as a major breach of discipline.
7. “Target Card” identifies up to three targets that a student aims to achieve over a period of up to ten College days - this is signed daily by each Subject Teacher and reviewed/signed by either the Form Teacher or the Year Curriculum Co-ordinator, and may be signed by the parent/guardian.
8. “Report Card” means an individual report filled in by each teacher who deals with a child during the day - and signed daily by Year Curriculum Co-coordinator/Form Teacher. It may also be signed daily by parent/guardian.
9. “Detention” means the detention of a student within the College, under the supervision
of a teacher, at a time when they would normally not be so detained.
“Lunchtime detention” means the detention of the student during lunchtime under
the supervision of a teacher.
“Break-time detention” means the detention of a student during break time under
the supervision of a teacher.
“After-school detention” refers to the detention of a student in the College for a
period of up to one hour and a half after normal College hours under the supervision
of a teacher.
“Internal Suspension” refers to when a student is supervised by a teacher, with work
set by Subject Teachers for a fixed period of time - which may extend from half a
College day to two full College days.
10. “Community Service” means undertaking appropriate tasks (e.g.picking up litter) under the supervision of a member of staff.
11. “Withdrawal of privileges” means the student not being permitted to take part in certain extra-curricular activities, not being permitted to take part in a non-uniform day, not being permitted to travel to certain College trips, or losing privileges which do not form a part of their statutory education.
12. “Suspension” means the enforced absence of a student from the College for a period of time.
13. “Expulsion” means the permanent removal of a student from the College.
14. “Parents/guardians” means those adults who are legal custodians of the student.
15. “Posing a risk to themselves or others” means either
a) failure to observe the relevant safety rules or
b) behaving in a violent manner.